Wednesday, September 19, 2012

My first official review for this blog!


The Night of 1,000 Wolves
writer: Bobby Curnow
artist: Dave Wachter
www.idwpublishing.com



My first review for this blog was going to be Victoria Foyt’s “Revealing Eden”, but that book is so awful that writing the review is actually somewhat painful, and it’s taking longer than I’d expected. So, I’ve decided to start with something I actually enjoyed, the graphic novel “The Night of 1,000 Wolves” by IDW Publishing.

A simple story – drawn and told without unnecessary embellishment – it grabbed me right at the first page and didn’t let me go until the end. This should not be surprising, however, as IDW routinely puts out excellent work.

To give a brief synopsis: a small farming homestead is set upon by an increasingly large number of wolves; the people flee to the safety of a neighboring keep where they make a stand and fight for their survival. And the ending of the story provides a nice spin on traditional wolf mythology.

Like the title says, all the events take place in the course of one day and night. It begins with one character recognizing an ominous sign in the afternoon sky and ends with another making an incredible sacrifice to save friends and family. Yes, I know I’m being vague, but the story is relatively short and I don’t want to give anything away.

This book is definitely worth reading. I say check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment